Sunday, February 22, 2009

Budget blown and eating gone to pot


Yesterday, we had a healthy breakfast of blueberry muffins, peaches and homemade granola. Then the day just fell apart. My mom took us out to lunch after the art museum, where my daughter had turkey and spinach with rice.

When we came home, we discovered that the bathroom faucet had turned itself on full force, flooding the bathroom, dining room, stairs and basement in the three hours we were gone. We lost our newest computer, as I was doing homework on the dining room table when I left. My school books are soggy and my cell phone quasi-ruined.

So amid the mopping and talks with the insurance company, my daughter's dinner became a slice of leftover pizza my in-laws left in our fridge Friday and my husband and I had Brie, homemade bread and peanut butter after she went to bed.

My daughter woke up with a fever in the middle of the night. So, my husband suggested doughnuts and coffee today. The monthly food budget is already blown. I've spent $200 on groceries and $125 on dining, roughly. We need coffee and some other odds and ends from the store, but with the insurance adjuster coming we may just be living from the freezer for a couple days. But in the freezer we have: a ham hock, spinach-cheese filling for calzones or lasagne, homemade bread, vegetable beef soup, chili, lots of chicken with fruit, croissants, brownies and blueberry muffins...

Oh! And I have some beef for beef stew in there...

No comments:

Post a Comment