Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Not a single meal at home...

I once had a colleague who saw my lunches and asked: "Do you ever hide in a closet and scarf down a bag of Doritos?"

And ironically, the answer is yes, if they are cool ranch flavored. I'm addicted to those things.

Today was a Doritos day, in a figurative sense.

We had peach cobbler for breakfast and my husband packed peanut butter crackers and broccoli for he and our daughter for lunch. I had a 7:30 a.m. executive committee meeting for extension on campus, so we headed out early.

Since it was snowing, and my meeting didn't end until 9:30 a.m., I opted to stay on campus rather than leave for the hour before class. So my daughter and I walked in the snow and went to Wawa for fruit.

She selected watermelon. I selected apples (with caramel dippings... mmm.) Then we picked a mixed fruit bowl with blueberries for Daddy. My daughter asked for the roasted red pepper hummus with the pita rounds. How can I say no to that? We spent $11, but made some healthy and satisfying choices.

After we had our fruit picnic, I dropped my daughter and the extra fruit at my husband's office. I headed to class. When I got back, my daughter noticed that the international students were giving away food. So, despite the fact that she had stolen my husband's fruit and ate her weight in raw broccoli, we joined the line. Curry, jerk chicken, flat bread, mashed yucca, various slaws and salads, mysterious meaty substances, rice pudding with mango, coconut candy, samosas... And this spinach/corn stuff that was incredible.

By dinner, I had exhausted myself and the still falling snow made me hungry for a real pizzeria pizza. Blame PMS. We had so many fruits and vegetables throughout the day, a splurge seemed nice.

We ordered soft drinks, a large plain pie, breaded cauliflower, and garlic knots. Then we each had a scoop of ice cream. Our child had cotton candy. My husband had chocolate Moose Tracks and I had some sort of Cappucino crunch. The bill came to $25 and the tip another $5. Maybe I don't have the money to splurge (after all, we went for Mexican last week) but it felt right.

No comments:

Post a Comment