Sunday, February 15, 2009

Baked Oatmeal?

Our daughter begged for boxed macaroni and cheese for breakfast. I told it we could IF she picked out a vegetable to go with it. So, we served mac and cheese with peas. Since we're alone today, (the preschooler having gone with Mimi) we opted for the broccoli soup in the freezer. That's the one I made a couple weeks ago that came out super peppery. And since I don't know if/when my daughter will come home today, I think I'll reverse the normal order of meals and have oatmeal for dinner.


Baked Oatmeal
(from a restaurant someone ate at many, many moons ago)

1 cup butter   
2 cups brown sugar   
4 eggs, beaten   
4 cups oatmeal   
4 teaspoons baking powder   
2 teaspoons salt   
2 cups milk   

Preheat oven to 350. Butter pan. Mix ingredients. Pour in pan. Bake 30 minutes.

I reduce the sugar and the butter. I also add fruit. I may add grated apple and golden raisins today. But these things are open to interpretation.

Another good oatmeal recipe is Crockpot Oatmeal. I got this recipe from the Soft Key Home Gourmet software my husband bought me years ago... I made this one for the French exchange student. Crockpot Oatmeal is easy to "veganize."

Crock Pot Oatmeal

Grease crockpot and combine the following, then mix or whisk:

2 cups milk  
1/4 cup brown sugar   
1 tablespoon melted butter  
1/4 teaspoon salt  
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon  
1 cup rolled oats  
1 cup chopped apple   
1/2 cup raisins  
1/2 cup walnuts

Prepare before going to bed. Leave crockpot on low. Serve in morning. I reduced the sugar.

Well, while I'm an oatmeal kick... Here's another, even simpler than crockpot oatmeal. This came from Eileen Bresslin's vegan cooking class at Northampton Community College.

Vegan Oatmeal 'Pudding' 

Combine and refrigerate overnight:

2 cups oats  
2 cups soy milk  
2 tablespoons raisins  
1 teaspoon cinnamon  
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg


 




2 comments: