Monday, June 1, 2009

Venez Dîner, C'est Prêt


Yesterday my friend Jessica came to visit after her semester in France, in the northern city of Rennes. I asked her to bring me home a cookbook, a real French one in French. She selected Venez Dîner, C'est Prêt by Dominique Malet. (Come to dine, it's ready) As the cover says, "300 menu gourmands pour gagner du temps."

The book offers a mix-and-match approach to quick entertaining, assuming that you're having guests after work or when busy. I flipped through most of it before my brain kicked in and started translating basic things like teaspoon and tablespoon (or, at least that's what I hope coffee spoons and soup spoons are).

It includes pantry lists and mix-and-match menus, based on what you hope to serve (like veal, fish or game) and how many courses you had in mind (appetizer, main course, dessert) or (main course/side and dessert). It even includes a few vegetarian recipes.

I was thinking of attempting one for lunch, or maybe just throwing together a quiche. I don't have many groceries right now as I've been waiting for June to come before spending more money... but I think I could do an approximation of the one broccoli and noodle dish for lunch and for dinner, I can try the pork with pineapple and serve it with the Asian salad I bought yesterday. Another one of those Dole salads.

1 comment:

  1. la photographie est vers l'arrière le besoin par miroir de le lire
    (The photograph is backwards...need a mirror to read it.)
    g

    ReplyDelete