Monday, June 22, 2009

Rye dinner rolls


As I type this, my tomorrow-will-be-five-year-old and I are in the midst of our initial batch of rye bread. I'm using the recipe from the back of the Hodgson Mill rye flour bag, without the carraway seeds, wheat germ and the onion. And I used a slightly expired batch of Hodgson Mill multigrain yeast. And I forgot the water in the recipe and had to add it later.

And now that I reread the recipe, I realize I added three cups rye flour. Oops. No wonder it was super dry until I added that extra water.

It might be a miracle if these rolls turn out.

My first experience with rye bread...

Hodgson Mill Onion-Rye dinner rolls
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons butter
2 packages (5/16 ounce) yeast
1/2 cup lukewarm water (110 degrees)
3 cups white flour
2 tablespoons caraway seeds
6 tablespoons minced onion
1/2 cup wheat germ
1 to 1 1/4 cups rye flour

For an egg wash
1 egg
2 teaspoons water

Scald milk and combine in mixing bowl with honey, salt and butter. Stir well, cool to lukewarm. Dissolve yeast in water and combine with milk. Add white flour and beat vigorously one minute until batter is very smooth. Add caraway seeds, onion, wheat germ and enough rye flour so dough is firm enough to knead. Turn dough onto floured surface. Knead 8 minutes.

Put in greased bowl, turning once so dough is evenly coated. Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled (one hour). Punch down dough and roll by hand into long rope about 1.5 inches thick. Cut into 1.5 inch pieces and shape into buns. Place two inches apart on oiled baking sheet. Cover with towel and let rise until doubled.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare egg wash (beat egg with water) and brush top of buns. Bake 12-15 minutes or until nicely browned. Yield: 18-24 rolls.

1 comment:

  1. Keep the yeast in the freezer and it will never die...just live in suspended annimation. I've had mine in there for a couple years, works fine.

    Must bring you your brick of yeast soon!

    g

    ReplyDelete