Monday, June 1, 2009

Pasta with vegetables and artichoke hearts


I intended to make Dominique Malet's "Orecchiette Aux Brocolis" for lunch, but the laissez-faire state of our groceries contradicted that.
So I based a dish on hers.


Ingredients for Pasta with Vegetables and Artichokes
Pasta of your choice
About 3 cups frozen cauliflower, carrots and broccoli, cooked
About 2 cups frozen artichoke hearts, cooked
About four tablespoons garlic powder
one teaspoon garlic pepper
two teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons slivered almonds
About 1/2 cup milk
grated cheeses
pepper


I cooked about 400 grams of elbow pasta.


While that cooked, I heated the olive oil in a skillet with the milk and garlic powder, garlic pepper and fresh ground pepper. Once it became bubbly I added the almond, the artichokes and the vegetables. I cooked them until good and hot.


I put the cooked noodles in a big serving dish. I poured the sauce over the noodles, holding the vegetables, artichokes and nuts back in the pan and returning them to the burner on high to try and brown them.


While they cooked, I stirred the noodles and noticed I didn't make much sauce.


I added the vegetable mixture to the noodles. As I served, I generously added grated parmesan, romano and asiago. The sauce was just enough to make the cheese stick to the noodles, but the vegetables soaked up most of the moisture.


The family devoured it, which surprised me because last time we had artichokes my daughter hated them.


For dessert, we had a small dish of vanilla ice cream.

1 comment:

  1. you were surprised? she's a preschooler. she's allowed to be fickle. g

    ReplyDelete