Friday, July 23, 2010

July's granola


Ah, granola...

Thanks to some discussion with friends, I am in the mood to make granola (which is great because random odds and ends are all I have in the house so I can mix them up!).

Adapted from the Imus Ranch cookbook:

Dry ingredients:
-3 cups oats
- 1.5 cups Aldi brand peanut butter crunch cereal
- about one cup dry roasted peanuts
- about one cup mixed nuts
- about 1/4 cup dried cranberries leftover from a salad mix
- about two tablespoons dried candied ginger chopped as small as possible
- four fresh dates chopped into about six pieces each
- dried strawberries, chopped, 1/4 cup
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup brown sugar


Wet ingredients:
- about 1/2 cup blackstrap molasses
- about three tablespoons honey (omit for vegan version)
- about 1/2 cup canola oil
Mix wet ingredients thoroughly and then mix into dry

Bake at 300 degrees for about 30 minutes, turning frequently, every 10-15 minutes

Add M&M's or butterscotch chips after baking for something decadent

2 comments:

  1. I have made granola in the past and found that when I bake the dried fruit with the rest, they come out too dry and hard. How was your result? And how did the candied ginger react to being heated?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I turn my granola every 10 minutes to try and prevent everything from getting too hard. And I take it out as soon as it starts to dry. Yeah, it means my granola gets wet in spots and clumps but we like those clumps.

    I think the ginger added some zing...

    Let me know if you have any more questions. Eventually I'll get the photos off the camera.

    ReplyDelete