Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Big Bad Watermelon

There is no easy way to write this entry. I gave my husband $70 (our grocery money for the next two weeks) and asked him to pick up a few things at the store. He spent $48, leaving me $22 to fill in the gaps. (Luckily, we have the garden and his parents have brought some stuff-- fruit, veggies and juice.)

I don't agree with many of his choices, but he did his best. Honey, if you read this, don't take the commentary personally. I love you.

- Northern Double Rolls Toilet Paper, $2.89
- Salsa, 1.69 (this is his salsa, except for that price I could have gotten a jar twice as big at Aldi)
- can of black beans 69 cents
- watermelon, with seeds, $5.99 (I never pay more than $3 for a watermelon, so the title comes from this. On top of the price, it wasn't even seedless. "But someone begged and begged," he said.)
- Dole Premium Salad kits, 2 for $7
- 2 quarts of strawberries, $5
- Morningstar Vegetarian Sausages, $3.49
- 16 ounces frozen broccoli, $1.49 (he thought they were on sale for $1, let's not tell him)
- now the next item says, "Giant Vegetable," and it was on sale for $1 but the regular price is $1.09 and I'm not sure what it was.
- 16 ounces of frozen peas, 2 bags at $1 each
- 2 unsweetened silk soy milk half gallons, $5.98 (Giant has their own brand of soy milk and it's cheaper. Plus, if we're poor, how about 1 half gallon soy milk and 1 of milk-- the kind that comes from a cow)
- Almond Breeze almond milk, $2.91 minus $1 in store coupon (Almond milk is daughter's new kick, but he got plain, not vanilla and she doesn't like it. Plus, he forgot juice. So now she has nothing but water to drink. Sorry, kid!)
- 3 small containers of coffeemate, $1.67 each
- 16 ounce block of wisconsin cheddar cheese, $3.89 (about 20 cents more expensive than the warehouse club)

1 comment:

  1. okay, he blew it. And he'll pay with less than stellar meals for the next two weeks. But the guy went shopping. I'd kill for someone to do my shopping. If I died tomorrow they'd starve.

    ReplyDelete