Thursday, July 29, 2010

Tortillas



My daughter and I made tortillas this afternoon, using a recipe we found online. I used to have a different one, but I didn't feel like looking for it.

Ingredients:
- 2 cups flour
- 1.5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tsp salt (I used iodized sea salt)
- 2 tsp canola oil (many tortilla recipes use more traditional fats like shortening)
-3/4 cup warm water

Mix dry ingredients.

In separate container, mix wet ingredients.

Spoon wet ingredients into dry ingredients one tablespoon at a time, using a fork to stir into dry ingredients. Will form a pebbly dough.

Knead five minutes. Let rest 20, with a damp towel.

Break into pieces and roll into balls each the size of a golf ball. I got seven.

Let rest ten minutes. Roll into circles. Fry in dry cast iron skillet for 30 seconds on each side.

No comments:

Post a Comment