Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Multigrain Dill Bread


I'm experimenting again. I've been debating whether or not to make bread and what pushed me over the edge was the realization that the fancy French butter I bought for the holidays isn't getting any younger.

When I went to Wegmans the other day, they had this huge bunch of fresh dill for $1.99. I bought it, used some for my crab egg rolls, and now used some for this bread. The rest I put in the freezer. Dill is one of my favorite herbs.

Okay, so the bread... Thus far mixed in one bowl:
(For a real recipe, click on bread and you'll see my previous efforts.)
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 cup rye flour
  • 1/2 cup cornmeal
  • 1/2 cup flax seed
  • 2 cups unbleached white flour
  • 1 teaspoon iodized sea salt
  • 1 heaping tablespoon fresh dill
In the other bowl:
  • 2 cups warm water
  • 1 teaspoon honey
  • 1 tablespoon yeast
Mix about 3 cups of the flour mix into the yeast, stir with a wooden spoon and place in a warm draft free spot for about 3 hours until doubled in size...

More later...

It came out lovely, though I should have used more dill. Served with Italian Wedding Soup and French butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment