Sunday, January 10, 2010

Crab rolls


Here's another one of my wing-and-a-prayer efforts:













In a bowl I mixed:
  • 1 bag Asian slaw from wegmans (about 5 cups of Napa Cabbage, carrots and celery)
  • About one cup bean sprouts
  • one small can fancy lump crab meat
  • two teaspoons fresh dill
I used this as filling for some egg roll wrappers and since I didn't have any eggs, sealed them with corn starch in water. The egg roll wrappers were pre-made, I believe they were Melissa's.

I fried mine in my Le Creuset skillet. I layered the skillet with less than 1/4 inch of canola oil, and rolled them after a few minutes so I could get each side.

Now the vegetable egg rolls I love at Wegmans are $6 for 5. I paid about $10 for all the ingredients for these and the yield is 15, with some filling left over for the tortoise.

Served with thai plum dipping sauce and low sodium soy sauce. My only complaint is I should have filled them more.

A few days after this post, a fancier recipe site posted a more gourmet Vietnamese spring roll recipe. I'll include the link:

http://laurasbestrecipes.com/2009/04/vietnamese-spring-rolls-with-peanut-sauce.html

No comments:

Post a Comment