Sunday, January 24, 2010

The great tofu gratin experiment


Deep breath...

This one could suck.

I started with a favorite recipe:
http://angelfoodcooking.blogspot.com/2009/11/steak-au-poivre-with-cauliflower.html
as developed by the chefs at Wegmans.

Today, I mixed the following:
  • 8 ounces vanilla almond milk
  • 1 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1 block soft silken tofu
  • 10 ounces frozen spinach, thawed in the microwave with some water
When that got whirred together, I added
  • 16 ounces cauliflower
  • About 6 ounces shredded cheddar
I oiled my Le Creuset skillet with some walnut oil from my mom. And poured it inside. Back 40 minutes at 350 degrees, stirring at the midpoint.

Well, the jury is out.
I cooked it for about an hour and it's still got a layer of water to it, because the ingredients didn't solidify like animal products. By husband said it looked good and sunk a fork into it and called it 'bland.' So I tried it. It wasn't bland, it was rich with nutmeg and a hint of nut flavor. He says we just need to put it over rice to absorb that watery layer.

I say he can do it and take it for lunch.

I'm so disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment