Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Crêpes sales (Dirty crêpes)



Last semester, the French club held a crêpe sale, which made our native French professor look twice at the sign. The phrase crêpe sale in French would mean 'dirty crêpe.' I have pondered for months what would make a dirty crêpe.

This morning I almost made pancakes, and realized I had no milk. I had no milk-like products except for some liquid non-dairy creamer and some chocolate milk. So I thought I'd embark on a dirty chocolate crêpe.

Whisk vigorously:
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup chocolate soy milk
  • 1/4 cup coffee
  • 1 tsp walnut oil
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 cup unbleached white flour
  • 1/2 cup liquid non dairy creamer
  • 1/3 cup Hersheys cocoa
Pour about 1/3 cup of the batter into a large hot skillet (heat around medium if it's a good iron skillet). Swirl skillet so crêpe is as thin as possible. Cook about three minutes. Flipping may be required.

I served these with applesauce on the side and peanut butter on the actual crêpe.

I think a real dirty crêpe would be stuffed with nutella and crushed oreos with whipped cream and gummy frogs on top.

1 comment: