Thursday, April 16, 2009

Tuna Noodle Update


I think I'm having some sort of tuna noodle casserole for dinner. The family had quesadilla with mango salsa and blueberry muffins for lunch. (I had peanut butter and graham crackers.) My blood sugar is not stable so dinner will be a challenge to get on the table, but I feel the family needs a good hot meal.


I'm starting with 16 ounces of wagon wheel noodles and my Betty Crocker Mac N Cheese recipe. With that as a guide, I add about 2 tablespoons butter to the bottom of my pan. With heat on medium high, I added some hand-cut chunks of about 1/2 a clove of garlic. Next I'm going to add some pizza/pasta seasoning from my grinder... which has coarse sea salt, onion, garlic, red bell pepper, basil, parsley and orgeno. While I typed that my butter and garlic got too hot so I removed it from heat and added some half and half to settle it down. Now to add the spices.


This cheese sauce normally calls for two tablespoons flour, but my flour is above my head so I'm using a couple teaspoons of cornstarch instead.


Next 1 and 2/3 cups milk and 1/3 cup half and half mixed into the pot, stirring carefully and heating slowly. Then add 8 ounces of your favorite cheese. I used about five ounces of monterey jack and about three of new york sharp cheddar.


I threw my wagon wheels in a big baking dish. Added a pile of peas, the cheese sauce, and liberal grated parmesan. Stir very well...

Then I added a can of tun, stirred more. Added some garlic pepper, some shredded asiago and one single serving bag of Lay's potato chips smooshed into crumbs.


I plan on baking it for about twenty minutes at 420.

No comments:

Post a Comment