Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Pumpkin Spice Cake


My daughter and I are planning a birthday party today. We decided to celebrate my husband's birthday, which is technically Sept. 11. I had planned to go to the store and get the makings for a chicken-corn pot pie concoction, but that has been delayed. Instead, we are making a pumpkin cake, a variant of my carrot cake recipe.

My original carrot cake recipe is listed if you click on the cake link and read the "pumpkin spice muffin" entry.

Today's "Pumpkin Spice Cake"

Sift:
3 cups flour
1 3/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
about 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
about 1/2 teaspoon ginger
about 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
about 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves


Blend into batter:
15 ounces pumpkin
1 1/2 cups canola oil
1/2 teaspoon iodized sea salt


Beat two minutes.
I could have added four eggs one at a time, but instead I used ONE egg, two ripe bananas and five tablespoons apple butter.



Add walnuts and/or walnuts if desired. I didn't.


Pour into greased and floured 13x9 pan and bake at 350 for 50-55 minutes.

VERDICT: I used storebought cream cheese icing on it, and this turned out to be the best cake ever. It is soooo good. My husband said: "Did you just find a new recipe somewhere or did you make something up?" We know the answer-- I made it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment