Saturday, April 25, 2009

Bad, bad girl


I spent $60 at Wegmans today. We ran in with a budget of $47 to get fruit, greens, coffee, creamer, deodorant and soap. We did fine, until I started shopping for the French dinner I was invited to tomorrow. One of my former professors is hosting a dinner for all of her current French majors and she asked me to attend and to bring the first course, or premier plat.


But this will not be an American meal, so it's not as simple as it sounds. The professor already has salad, cheese and dessert. And I think she's buying bread, which is sad, since I have homemade bread...


So, I opted for fruit salad with honey-white wine sauce. This required about $20 worth of fresh fruit. And it was hysterical the way I stood among the pears debating which variety to pick. I decided on d'anjou. Sounded the most French. And strawberries. And raspberries (since it's not the time of year for cherries).
But then I bought a $4 jar of French cherry preserves to go with bread at dinner and to serve as a hostess gift... and then... and this is what was really naughty: I bought an $8 jar of American lavendar honey. When I got home and tasted it, it was worth every penny, especially since the honey and the white wine (in my case the Vouvray) are the main ingredients for the fruit salad dressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment