Monday, February 20, 2012

Cherry Coke Chicken

*WARNING* this is untested. It is a crock pot experiment--but it's a variation of Crock Pot 365's Candy Chicken. THAT is a fabulous recipe.

Ingredients:
- about six pieces of chicken breast (my husband cut them, so I'm not sure how big they are. It looks like six breast halves)
- about 16 ounces leftover cherry coke from Target café
- about 3/4 cup brown sugar
- about 1/4 cup maraschino cherries with juice
- 2/3 cup Archer Farm strawberry basil balsamic vinegar
- 2-3 tablespoons Wegmans cherry raspberry vinaigrette dressing
- between 2 teaspoons and 1 tablespoon dried basil

Crock pot. Low. About 8 hours.

After 2 hours, something sweet had, well, congealed. I'm hoping it will melt as the heat increases over time. To help it, I added about eight ounces water and upon tasting it, I tossed in

- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar

Because it was sickly sweet and a little slimy. Experiments can be risky.

At 12:30 I have deemed this a failure. Congealing got worse. Chicken VERY sweet. Removed to baking pan. Husband has said it's not so bad.

I'm glad I won't be home for dinner.

1 comment:

  1. you win some, you lose some. Worse comes to worse, you pull off all the skin, tear up the chicken, add something savory and make something like a fajita or a casserole

    ReplyDelete