Monday, August 8, 2011

Plum cake "tatin"

Oh, dear.

The plums I canned yesterday didn't seal properly. So, today I made a plum tatin. It's a variation of Ina Garten's recipe from Barefoot in Paris, which I normally use to make an impressive pear tatin.

My original post about this recipe, done the right way, appears here:
http://angelfoodcooking.blogspot.com/2008/12/poire-tatin.html?m=1

Today's version, in the oven now, looks like plums with cake dumplings. The dough turned out too sticky. I should have added a few tablespoons of milk to compensate for the thickness of the yogurt.

PLUMS TATIN

- 2 pints canned plum halves, pitted, in medium syrup
- 6 tablespoons butter, room temp
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 serving Chobani lemon yogurt (slighly more than 1/3 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all purpose flour (there's my mistake, I was helping my daughter with another task and used TWO CUPS flour, that's why my dough was so thick and sticky)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (which I never measure)

Preheat oven to 350. Grease deep dish pie pan generously with butter.

Pour one pint of plums into pie dish with syrup, add the plums from the other pint too but not the syrup. I then put the pie dish in the oven to warm them.

Cream butter, sugar, and add eggs one at a time. Add yogurt and vanilla and mix until well-combined.

Sift together flour, salt and baking powder and add slowly to other mix. Combine until moist. Spoon over plums.

Bake 30 to 40 minutes until toothpick comes out clean. Cool 15 minutes. Invert unto platter.


UPDATE:
This is the UGLIEST 'tatin' I ever made. The cake tastes fine, despite the double flour mistake. The plums have a very strong flavor, a blend of sour and sweet. I think it's good but has the same mixed qualities of a good rhubarb dessert. It tasted fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment