Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Peach peel filling



When my mother-in-law talks, there are several topics where I always listen. Pie is one.

When she talked about canning peaches, she said they thick-peeled theirs and used the peels for pie filling. Well, I tried thick peeling my peaches by using a knife to cut a thin layer of fruit off with the peel (abouta 1/4 inch) and canned that as the base for a peach cobbler.

Because I'm an idiot who tried to process a quart jar in a 12-quart stock pot that really can only handle pints, the jar didn't quite seal properly. That meant we opened them today for peach muffins.

I had mixed the last handful of peaches in with the peels and after two days of soaking in sweet honey-plum syrup, you can't tell the peels from the fruit. After I picked what I needed for the muffins, my daughter ate the rest of the quart.

1 comment: