Monday, August 15, 2011

Black beans in the crockpot

Sometimes I can be so efficient and organized that I make every meal and all our bread from
scratch. I bargain shop and freeze. I stay on top of my school work and slay the laundry pile. That's the genius in me.

But then there are the days I can't speak straight. It takes two hours to make a 30-minutes-or-less meal. I can't find my shoes, my glasses or my umbrella. And I overslept. Yup. That's the idiot in me.

I have made beans in the crockpot before, at least twice, but now I can't find the recipe. Here or online at large. I swore it was Crock Pot 365.

So, I'm moving forward.

I took two pounds of Mi Casa black beans and 16 cups of water and brought it to a boil while stirring. I have this one really bad pot that everything sticks to if you don't stir. This is the rapid method of bean soaking.

Boil 2 minutes.

Now if you're me, you'll spill stuff all over your pants the second the water finally boils. And if you're me, while the beans are boiling for two minutes you'll run upstairs to change your pants and your kid will chase you around explaining why she had to pull dolls in your bed in addition to her bed...

Then you'll rush downstairs to find bean-foamy boiling water about to bubble out of the pot, so you cut the heat, grab the pot, remove from the burner and cover.

The official direction is cover and let stand for an hour.

At this point, I had to run down to the basement and start a load of wash because you remember those dirty jeans? Well, they're the only jeans I have that fit since I lost weight having broken several teeth in that walking accident in May. I have a dentist appt today to talk about more dental work I need but can't afford, and if I go in baggy clothes they comment how thin I've gotten. The office is mostly women, and their compliments annoy me because if their office had fixed my teeth I could eat more easily!

But the beans...

I'm going to rinse and sort them, and I never do a thorough job. I pick out the obvious nasty ones.

Then they all go in the crockpot. With water to cover. On low. Probably 5-8 hours.

2 comments:

  1. that's why you have me! Why don't you call your phone-a-friend?

    http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/10/cooking-dried-beans-in-crockpot.html

    you're welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm laughing my butt off. Someone should film this! Sounds like an episode of the three stooges.

    ReplyDelete