Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Purple Margaritas


I hesitate to even share this as it is NOT cheap. But the whole point of running a rigid budget, or as close to one as we can, is to splurge as desired. Like the recent cheese fest. I *still* have plenty of smoked gouda.


I have a business meeting tomorrow, but everyone in the group is friends AND tomorrow is my birthday. As the meeting pertains to my personal business, I am responsible for the tab. Normally, we would do lunch. But I have proposed purple margaritas.


I spent $65 for the ingredients for purple margaritas. But when you consider the cost of taking three adults and one child for a light meal, with alcoholic beverages and tip, $65 is the right ballpark. And by entertaining at home, I still have some alcoholic left in the bottle at the end of the day. So, depending on your perspective, it is cheap.


My purple margaritas stem from a girlfriend's divorce. We tried for months to make the perfect margarita. They always turned out too sour or too alcoholic. Then someone told me to try blue curacao instead of triple sec or grand marnier. Didn't thrill me. But when I added chambord, the sweet raspberry flavor was perfect. The blue curacao and the chambord combine to make an incredible purple color.


Be warned: These margaritas will knock your socks off if you're not careful.


Angel's Purple Margaritas
(recipe as printed makes two)
4 ounces margarita mix (or homemade, I have not found a good margarita mix)
2 ounces tequila (my girlfriend is into José Cuervo)
2 ounces blue curacao (it is very blue, Bols makes one...)
2 ounces chambord


Combine ingredients in a shaker with ice. Shake to mix. I serve with the ice. Wet the rim of the glass and roll in bartendar's salt, if desired.


1 comment:

  1. can't wait to try them....thou I do have to grade tonight! -g

    ReplyDelete