Sunday, February 21, 2010

Roasting garlic


Normally when you roast garlic, you roast the whole bulb, papery shell and all in a bath of broth and spices/herbs of your choice.

When it gets done, the roasted cloves will pop from the shell with ease, and they'll be soft, mild, and delicious. Perfect for blending with butter or cream cheese.

My sister-in-law received a ridiculous amount of peeled garlic cloves from her elderly landlord as a thank you for shoveling the snow during the blizzard. She passed about 30 cloves on to me.

I put them all in a pfaltzgraf bowl (because it's shallow and small enough that I can use just enough liquid) and pulled some chicken broth from the freezer. I have them baking in the oven at 350, with just enough broth so each clove is very wet, but not submerged. Every ten minutes or so I go out and "baste" by shaking the bowl.

This process should take about an hour, and I don't know if it will work this way, but we'll see.

3 comments:

  1. I roast a whole clove of garlic by wrapping it alumnium foil and putting it in the oven for 5 minutes. It's delicious.

    Kind of like this, but I do no prep work at all!
    www.elise.com/recipies/archives/001712roasted_garlic.php
    gayle

    ReplyDelete
  2. mistyped that link...

    www.elise.com/recipes/archives/001712roasted_garlic.php

    ReplyDelete
  3. My recipe is similar... except with the herb bath instead of foil... And I roast for an hour, basting frequently

    ReplyDelete