Monday, February 8, 2010

Apple Butter

As soon as I dropped my husband off at his office, my daughter and I went to Wegmans. I hope to do an entry about our trip once I recuperate... But my daughter saw me throw cottage cheese in the cart and asked me if she could have cottage cheese and apple butter for breakfast. At the end cap at the end of the tea row, they had Little Barn specialty jams and among them was a jar of "no granular sugar added" apple butter. The jar was $2.99, when I'm fairly certain traditional apple butter is more in the $1.99 range. But I looked at the ingredients: apples, apple cider & cinnamon. That's it.

Neither she nor I tasted a difference, though I want to say that the apple flavor was more intense. It irks me that so many products made with fruit have no much sugar added to them. Like popsicles. Because fruit is naturally sweet, why all the sugar? And canned fruit packed in heavy syrup. I find that gross.

(Though sometimes I use that kind of fruit for my tarte tartin, and I simply use the syrup to make the sugar syrup without adding sugar.)

Okay, end of rant.

No comments:

Post a Comment