Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Chocolate almond streusel muffins


I wanted to make something this morning, yummy yet suitable for the freezer. So, I took my coffee cake streusel recipe and adapted it into muffins with chocolate almond topping. The topping did not stick to the muffins as well as I'd expected so I shook it off onto a plate and plan to freeze them for a future project.

The topping
About one cup Emerald dark chocolate roasted almonds, chopped in the food processor
About one cup flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
4 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup Hershey's cocoa powder

The muffin/coffee cake
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
(equal amount lemon extract if you have it, I didn't)
1 cup white flour
1/2 cup wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons soymilk

Preheat oven to 350. Cream sugar and butter. Beat in egg and extract(s). Combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Add alternatively with the milk. Pour into muffin tins. Top with topping, bake 25 minutes.

Yield: eleven muffins and tons of crumbs

No comments:

Post a Comment