Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Banana Breakfast Cake

I have committed a culinary crime. I have just noticed that I have had a Kitchen Aid big mixer for more than a year and I have forgotten to use it!

This recipe is based on a Betty Crocker Banana Bread recipe from the 25th Anniversary cookbook.

It can easily be made vegan by replacing the egg with applesauce and the butter with your favorite margarine.

I decided to try my hand at using the bundt pan, basically for the amusement of my daughter.

BANANA BREAKFAST CAKE
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- about 3 tablespoons blackstrap molasses
- about 3 tablespoons agave nectar
(OR use 1 1/4 cups plain old sugar, but I love to mix it up)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 single serve cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 5 medium ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup unsweetened soy milk spiked with one tablespoon apple cider vinegar (or 1/2 cup buttermilk or 1/2 cup milk with the vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup unbleached white flour*
- 1 1/4 cup oats*
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour*
(* OR 2.5 cups flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground sea salt
- 1 cup chopped walnuts plus whatever odds and ends are left in the bag

Preheat to 350. Grease bundt pan.

Cream sugar(s) and butter. Add eggs and applesauce and cinnamon. Stir well. (I had my daughter beat.) Add 'milk,' vanilla and bananas. Beat until smooth.

Add everything else except nuts, stir until moistened. Add nuts.

Starting with 60 minutes in oven...

60 minutes worked beautifully.

Now for a glaze I mixed 1/2 cup peanut butter with 1/2 cup JIF Mocha Cappucino hazelnut spread, heat in microwave, stir, add a tablespoon very vanilla soy milk to thin. Stir. Heat. Stir. Spread on cake with rubber spatula.

Dust with powdered sugar.

A masterpiece!

No comments:

Post a Comment