Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Curried tofu

I grabbed a chunk of tofu out of the freezer last night. I haven't prepared tofu in years, but it was cheap at Target...

I pressed it between two plates stacked with cookbooks to weigh it down. For about two hours, draining periodically.

I decided on Eileen Breslin's curried tofu recipe from the vegan cooking class I took with her. About a decade ago. She got it from "Tofu Cookery."

- 1.5 pounds extra firm tofu, drained and cubed
MARINADE
- 1.5 tablespoons peanut butter (I used 2 teaspoons peanut butter and 2 teaspoons tahini)
- 1/4 cup oil (I used canola)
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce (I used two, and used the low sodium)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon curry powder (shoot-- I think I used more)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Marinate at least one hour. Spread on oiled cookie sheet and bake at 375 for ten minutes, turn and repeat.

Now she suggests serving with a sauce of:
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon corn starch

Heat, stirring, until thickened. Then top with slivered almonds.

1 comment:

  1. disappointed that the smashed under a load of books pictures didn't make the cut. You could barely see the plate of tofu!

    ReplyDelete