Saturday, June 18, 2011

Too much of a good thing?

Too much of a good thing?

I've spent almost $228 on groceries in June and I don't anticipate returning to the grocery store again until mid-July... Especially if my garden produces.

We spent $12 at Target café for family dinner-- while I pride myself on making the healthiest choices I can in just about any circumstances, tonight's dinner was a nutritional bust (though my daughter did have apples!)

I then went shopping, in one of those  moods where I disregard budget and stock the house. Unfortunately, I used my Target Red debit card to pay, completely forgetting that the water bill is due Monday. I assumed I could transfer the money from savings and it would be fine.

It might be-- I keep my savings in an online bank and my checking in a local bank. It takes 2-3 business days to transfer money back and forth. It also takes 2-3 days for Target to deduct the money from my account.

Fingers crossed. Borrowing money from daughter ($60), since she has an account in the same bank as my checking so the transfer will be immediate...

So, what are these deals I could not resist?

For daughter to take to camp:
- Johnson & Johnson baby shampoo, trial size, 97 cents
- cheap flip flops, $1
- travel toothbrush and toothpaste, 97 cents
- travel size bar of Dove soap, 97 cents
- travel size of hand sanitizer, 99 cents

For the kitchen:
- three small plastic tumblers, $2.61 each
- four large tumblers, $2.98 each

For the lady of the house:
- Two 36 count boxes of Playtex tampons, $6.99 each BUT with $2 off coupon AND a $5 Target gift card if you buy two
So, depending how you look at it, that's buy one get one free

Groceries:
- the one pound jar of roasted, unsalted cashews, $10.99
- club crackers, $2.40
- Market Pantry sandwich crackers, $2.74
- Fresh Express romaine lettuce, $2.49 (which I wouldn't need to buy if the darn tortoise would eat the lettuce in my garden)
- nasoya tofu, two one pound blocks of extra firm, regularly $2.75 on clearance for $1.39
- fresh broccoli, $2.29
- two large jars of JIF Natural peanut butter, $4.12 each, which was cheaper than Market Pantry creamy peanut butter
- Smuckers Seedless blackberry jam, the fruity kind, $1.67
- regular bag of brown rice, $1.17
- Barilla Plus multigrain angel hair pasta, $1.84
- Perdue chicken breasts, all sell by tomorrow, with $3 off coupons. 3 packages, normally $6.26, $6.42, and $6.62.
- New England Blueberry Cobbler coffee, (this is an expensive habit) $6.59
- Traditional Medicinal Breathe Easy Tea, normally $4.99, $3.99
- Archer Farms Chocolate Berry Earl Grey tea, $3.99
- peaches packed in juice, 2 cans, $1.09 each
- large can of tuna, $2.09 which... the cashier rang me up for two when I only bought one. The other can was chicken
- one pound of strawberries, $1.79
- bananas,  6 at 19 cents each
- Green Giant frozen broccoli with cheese sauce, $1.83
- frozen spinach, cut leaf, $1.27
I thought I bought two bags but the receipt only has one
- market pantry frozen snap peas, $1.27 (I bought a bag of these the other day and they were yummy-- didn't taste frozen)
- old orchard frozen cranberry juice concentrate, $1.47
- old orchard frozen apple raspberry  juice concentrate, $1.47
- Market Pantry frozen OJ, with calcium, $1.37
- one dozen eggs, $1.39
- quart of half and half, $2.14
- pint of heavy whipping cream, $2.29
- Archer Farms yogurts, four at 62 cents each
- Chobani kids honey-nana Greek yogurt, $3.49
- Chobani lemon yogurt, two at $1.29 each
- three 8 ounce blocks of cheese, one sharp cheddar, one extra sharp and one pepper jack, $2.49 each (I thought the sharp was on sale for $2.25)
- Breyers ice cream, $3.25 (regularly $4.19)
- Morningstar breakfast patties, two boxes at $2.99 each (regularly $3.69, though there had been a $1.99 sale that ended 6/16 and I missed it! )

Total: $158.03
Team member discount: $15.54
Red card savings: $6.87
Tax: $1.64
New total: $137.26
(and a $5 gift card!)

No comments:

Post a Comment