Friday, June 17, 2011

Sun pickles

Got this message today from a friend:

"My sister brought up "sun pickles". I thought, what fun. Think E and mommy would love it.

I have quart jars if you want to do this...

Use qt size canning jars. In the bottom of each jar place
1 piece of dill weed stem
1 clove of garlic

Now pack into the jar as many whole pickle cukes as you can. (Our mom used the little ones.)

Add 1 tsp kosher salt
1/4 cup vinegar
water to fill jar

Close jar with canning lid (got those too!) and put out in the sun for the afternoon.  You'll have nice crispy pickles. I don't know about long term storage. Ours never lasted that long.

I looked online for others.

Naturally knocked-up slices hers:
http://www.naturallyknockedup.com/recipe-dill-sun-pickles/

And this one from cooks.com uses a sun tea jar. That's a lot of pickles!
http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1836,144160-245199,00.html

there is many, many more on the web.

If you make them, blog it. I'll come over and help eat them!"

I was very much looking forward to this, and almost went out to the garage to look for my jars when I discovered with horror that my tortoise ate all but one of my 12 cucumber plants. Don't worry, she got the last one the next day. :-(

2 comments:

  1. wow, if I knew it was going to be published I would have written it better!

    That recipe was actually from the noise nation cookbook. Couldn't find mom's

    ReplyDelete
  2. wonder what else we could do with food outside with Bug?

    ReplyDelete