Monday, June 7, 2010

Experimental Yeast Multigrain Biscuits



I have a batch of skillet biscuits, one of my first attempts at really cooking in a while. I greased the skillet with butter, more for flavor than need and topped the butter with some cornmeal.

This experiment is based on some of my other biscuits.

I started with:
- 2 cups unbleached white flour
- 1 cup wheat flour
- 1/2 cup rye flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup flax seed
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1 heaping tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon iodized sea salt

Mix just until incorporated. Then I mixed in a separate container:
- 1 1/2 cup warm soy milk
- 1 teaspoon yeast
- 1 teaspoon honey

I let that rest until bubbly and combined the two mixtures. Then I kneaded briefly, rolled about 3/4 inch thick, cut with a glass, and put in skillet. I let the skillet rest with a towel over it on the oven for 15 minutes while it preheated to 400 degrees. Put the skillet it for 13 minutes.

12 biscuits (I think) that we hope to have for breakfast with Jarslberg cheese and Morningstar vegetarian sausages.

No comments:

Post a Comment