Thursday, March 26, 2009

The $62 Aldi trip


I managed to squeeze in a quick $60 Aldi trip this morning. I had $69. We have no food in the house. Meager, meager supplies. I tossed some of my white bean-spinach-ham soup in the fridge (from the freezer) for husband and I to take for lunch tomorrow.

The grand total of this haphazard trip was $61.44. I literally grabbed anything I thought we could use. I did not get brown sugar or olive oil, so that has me a tad miffed at myself. But here's what we did get:

Produce: One bag spring mix ($1.69, for Blue, our tortoise, primarily), two green peppers ($1.29), one head cauliflower ($2.39), two broccoli crowns ($1.29),

Frozen: peas (95 cents); 100% juice concentrate ($1.24, bought two), apple juice concentrate (95 cents), orange juice concentrate ($1.25), california medley (1.19, bought two)

Dairy: New York Sharp cheddar (8 oz block, $1.24, bought two), shredded asiago ($1.99), half gallon one percent milk ($1.46),

Canned goods: condensed vegetarian vegetable soup (49 cents, bought four cans, I often use this as base/sauce for pot pies or shepherd's pie), reduced sodium chicken broth (39 cents, bought several cans), small cans of plain tomato sauce (25 cents, bought four), pear halves in syrup ($1.39, big can, normally I would hold off for pears packed in juice but since I use them in cake, really, does it matter?), one large can chunk pineapple (89 cents), whole potatoes (59 cents, bought two), flour ($1.81)

Other: pecans (small bag, $2.49), flour tortillas (.99, I keep these is the freezer as emergency bread products), hummus ($1.69), 12 double rolls toilet paper ($5.29), 64 ounces bottled apple juice ($1.39), Aldi brand triscuits (1.39), aluminum foil ($2.29, for 75'), baking soda (49 cents, two small boxes, I put one box in each bathroom for cleaning), big container of quick oats ($1.79, I prefer old-fashioned), graham crackers ($1.29), 100% juice berry ($2.19), white tortilla chips (.99, bought two, would have preferred multigrain or organic but they were 25 cents more for about 1/3 less), baking powder (89 cents, normally I would buy the maroon can without aluminum but...), spice grinder with pizza seasoning ($1.69, makes me hungry for some sort of seasoned chicken), Aldi brand Ritz (1.69), Aldi fritos (99 cents, bought two), eggs (99 cents)

I hope to make ugly bean dip later today. I'm also thinking popcorn cauliflower some time over the weekend... and French toast....

No comments:

Post a Comment