Thursday, June 27, 2013

Maybe kale burgers

I was reminded today that I have poor luck in the kitchen when the recipe calls for transforming beans into patties.

Falafel. Vegetarian burgers.

Always end up as too wet hash. And yes, I realize this means I should add more dry ingredients but who wants to turn the resulting item into mostly rice or breadcrumbs?

I attempted a variation of Thug Kitchen's Spinach Kidney Bean Sliders.

Mine were a mix of kale, white beans and kidney beans. They are in the oven now. They felt too wet at the get-go. Big shock.

In the food processor, combine:
- one can kidney beans, liquid drained and beans rinsed
- one can great northern (white) beans, liquid drained and beans rinsed
- 3 cups raw kale, chopped
- 1/2 cup crumbs (my homemade breadcrumbs often includes the ends of bags of crackers, pretzels, etc)
- 1/2 cup cooked brown rice, sticky and cold

Add seasonings, I used:
- a splash of soy sauce
- a big glob of Annie's Goddess dressing
- about 1 tablespoon oregano
- about 1 tablespoon zaatar spice/sesame seed
- generous garlic powder
- some paprika
- some cumin

Form patties and bake at 350, at least 15 minutes each side.

Okay... These are really ugly patties but I tasted them and they are really good...




My efforts to dry them out via slow cooking left some bites too crispy, but I layered these patties on a toasted hot dog bun, with kale and habanero salsa just like my "ultimate" sandwich last night. Then I threw on some Alexa multigrain onion rings.

Scrumptious!


No comments:

Post a Comment