Monday, July 9, 2012

Multigrain Batter Bread

This recipe is adapted from the Betty Crocker 25th Anniversary cookbook.

I needed to use up some unsweetened vanilla almond milk that my daughter did not like, so I opted for bread over waffles or cinnamon buns.

I will post the original ingredients first and list my adaptations (which made the recipe vegan) in parenthesis.

FOUR-GRAIN BATTER BREAD
(mine is not four grain)
- 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour (I used unbleached white, and I substituted 1/2 cup whole wheat flour into the mix)
- 2 tablespoons sugar (okay, now the vegan way I would do this is agave nectar, but I also use local honey since I am not vegan)
- 1 teaspoon salt (I use fresh ground sea salt)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 packages yeast (I don't use the packages. I have a brick in the fridge. I used about 2 tablespoons)
- 2 cups very warm milk, 120-130 degrees (I used unsweetened vanilla almond milk)
- 1/2 cup very warm water
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour (I used rye)
- 1/2 cup wheat germ (I used Bob's Five Grain hot cereal)
- 1/2 cup quick cooking oats (I used regular)
- 1 1/4 cups more white flour
Cornmeal, olive oil

Mix the first set of flour, the sugar, salt, baking soda and yeast in a large bowl. Add milk and warm water and stir (with wooden spoon) until moistened.

Stir 3-5 minutes.

Add remaining ingredients (not cornmeal or olive oil) until it forms a stiff batter.

Grease two loaf pans and dust with corn meal.

Divide batter between them and shaped with floured hands. Cover and let rise 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 400. Bake 25 minutes until loaves are golden brown. Cool on wire racks.

No comments:

Post a Comment