Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Reconciling with Hostess

So, between gestational diabetes, my past as a vegetarian, my time on the Penn State Cooperative Extension advisory board in my local county, my responsibilities as a mom, my budget and my anemia, I spend a lot of time thinking about my food and where it comes from.

And if you keep fresh ingredients in my house, I will create fabulous meals. But between working evenings and my employee discounts at Target, it's easy to get a few frozen dinners, some clearance meat and junk food.

I try to be a mindful eater. But every once in a while I eat something that reminds me of my youth. My mom didn't cook. She didn't make vegetables. She gave me kool aid, Oscar Mayer bologna on white with orange American slices, and probably enough high fructose corn syrup to make me an addict.

I have been longing for one of those orange Hostess cupcakes.

And I walked by them yesterday.

Guess what I just shared with my daughter.

1 comment: