Monday, October 25, 2010

Provolone and pork mac and cheese

Tonight I made a quick mac and cheese with some smoked pork chops my mother-in-law brought over from the butcher.

The mac and cheese sauce:
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1.5 tablespoons flour
  • about three tablespoons heavy cream (all I had left)
  • about 1/2 teaspoon mustard
  • about 3/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • about 5-6 ounces extra sharp provolone
  • 2 cups two percent milk
I heated one fairly large smoked pork chop and cut the meat into chunks and added that and about 1.5 cups frozen peas into the cheese sauce. I also included about three tablespoons pork drippings from the skillet in the sauce.

I used a regular box of rotini, mixed it up in a pyrex casserole dish and baked it for 30 minutes at 375. Because I wasn't home to watch it, it got a tad crispy on top but the bottom was juicy so mixing it all up before serving solved that problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment