Thursday, January 10, 2013

Peaceful morning

I'm drinking my hibiscus tea, hoping for a quiet morning. I had a job interview a few days ago that brews some excitement in the back of my mind. Who doesn't love that hopeful feeling that new adventures await? Regardless of whether any individual opportunity works out, it's always uplifting to talk to new people and learn about the diversity inherent in various communities.

Sorry, 2013 has got me feeling very philosophical. Maybe it's because I'm well-fed. Last week I baptized my Target gift card, my prize from my employer for "winning" the attendance contest. That $250 Target gift card rolled around when our cupboards were bare and our checkbook was empty. Last week I bought a few odds and ends. A bag of cookies for my husband. Lettuce. A BIG jar of unsalted cashews for my daughter and a GIANT bag of frozen blueberries, raspberries, blackberries and strawberries. Oh, and bananas!

I spent about $30 last week and I want to make this gift card last. It just feels so special. So last night I thought I'd grab a few things on my way out again. But I found deals. Keep in mind, we're avoiding dairy. I prefer to limit processed foods to once or twice a week. And Target has some limits on what it carries.

But I got a cart full of groceries for $96. My freezer is full, as is my fridge and most of my pantry.

The take:
- Market Pantry 100% grape juice, no sugar added, 2 bottles at $3.29 each
- Juicy Juice 100% juice no sugar added juice boxes, 2 packs at $2.54 each
- bratwurst, 8 links for $2.69
- organic spring mix, the big square container, $3.99 (for the tortoise and the family)
- a head of cauliflower, $3.04
- Annie's Organic boxed white cheddar and shells, 4 boxes at $1.25 each
- Market pantry spirals and cheese boxed dinner, 2 boxes at 74 cents each
- Campbell's Naturals soups, 2 cans each of Chicken Tuscany, Chicken with Egg Noodle and Italian Wedding, $1.25 each
- four tiny cans of Market Pantry tomato sauce, 34 cents each
- white vinegar, $1.32
- steak, on clearance for $4.45 (normally $7.45)
- Archer Farms Caramel Sea Salt Hot Chocolate, $4.49
- various canned peaches, pineapple, and pears in juice or light syrup, no artificial sweeteners (for child and tortoise) ranging from 79 cents a can to $1.37 (eight cans)
- Dole Fruit cups, two individual serving multi-packs of mandarin oranges and one tropical fruit in juice, $1.99 each, plus an additional $1 off manufacturer's coupon
- 4 large cans of tuna in water, $2.34 each
- 3 steam in bags of Birds Eye premium broccoli cuts, $4.98 for all three
- 4 bags of steam-in-bag spiced sweet potatoes, 98 cents each
- frozen chopped spinach, 3 bags on clearance for 81 cents each
-frozen brussel sprouts, $1.67
- frozen snap peas, $1.57
- Buitoni ravioli, roasted tomato and another bag of spinach mushroom. They were both on clearance for $2.98 but now I see one rang up for the full price of $4.18.
- Old Orchard frozen 100% juice concentrate, one apple raspberry and two apples, $1.17 each
- Noosa strawberry rhubarb yogurt, $2.39
- Morningstar products: one box sausage, one box vegetable patty, one box chik patties, and one box spicy black bean burger, $3 each

subtotal: $107.21
minus team member discount -10.87
new total: 96.34

No comments:

Post a Comment