Sunday, October 28, 2012

Hey Sandy!

For about a week, I've been talking about Tuesday. October 30 is my 13th wedding anniversary and it's the first day in weeks that I don't have school, work, volunteer commitments, internship and/or job interviews.

I was very much looking forward to this day.

Now we're getting a category 1 hurricane.

We have filled buckets, pitchers and other spare containers with water. We cleaned the yard, put the car in the garage and scrubbed the bathrooms and the kitchen with bleach.

We ate the contents of the fridge and freezer. Stocked dried fruit from Forks Mediterranean Deli. Have home canned salsa and corn salsa and tortilla chips. Bananas, apples, nuts and mocha bread. Peanut butter. Juice in boxes and bottles.

Flashlight batteries changed. Candles and matches gathered. Electronics charged.

So, we're ready. And right now we're having hamburgers made from ground beef from the farm made with spinach in them, homemade French fries, and the burgers will be served on zaatar bread with Bulgarian feta and calamata olives and a side of cole slaw.

I also stopped at the liquor store for wine and brandy.

3 comments:

  1. I've done nothing except look for flashlights and the last time I was out of power for 6 days. Maybe it's time to take it seriously? But then, maybe not.

    I do have bread, milk and eggs, so on my camp stove I could make omelets!

    Right now I shall make vegan pumpkin cookies for trick or treats for my 5 international students.

    After that, and I get my grades done, maybe I'll think about the storm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. fill the washer for 'flushing', drinking water is easy but flushing the john isn't. also put a few things outside to gather the rain water.

    been there, done that.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least it will always be an anniversary to remember? Hope you still had a happy day and you and yours are okay!

    ReplyDelete