Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Corn Salsa

Today we're adapting the Better Homes and Gardens recipe for corn salsa. I tasted a few corn kernels and it is divine.

The BHG recipe calls for:
- 4 large ears corn/2 cups
- 1 large onion/ 1 cup (coarsely chopped)
- 1 large green or red sweet pepper / 1 cup (coarsely chopped)
- 1 cup coarsely chopped peeled tomato
- 1 fresh jalapeƱo pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped

For my mix I used:
- 3 cups corn from a local farm
- about 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons diced chives from the garden
- 2 (or was it 3) pickling cucumbers (chopped)
- 1 cup and then some chopped tomatoes from a neighbor's garden
- 1 small green pepper and one really small red pepper from my own garden, chopped

For the sauce:
The original BHG
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper

To this I added:
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon local honey
- 1/2 teaspoon hot chili powder

Method:
In large saucepan, combine ingredients and bring them to a boil.

Simmer, covered, for ten minutes.

Ladle into half pint jars. (oh bugger! I did 1 half pint, 2 half jellies and a pint.)

Process jars 15 minutes in boiling water canner.

3 comments:

  1. I never had Corn Salsa I half to try this one out. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We tasted the mix that stuck in the bottom of the canning pot and it was heavenly. I'm hoping to have some family over for burritos and chips and salsa. That's the regular salsa we canned last week and now this! My daughter LOVES homemade nachos piled high with beans, cheese, sour cream, salsa, etc., so for maximum nutrition and less additives I wanted to make my own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it was divine. corn salsa. It's what's for dinner. (with tacos!)

    ReplyDelete