Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Back to School

So, in the last few days my husband has overseen feeding the family. We both have been so crazy busy we succumbed to the "let's get a pizza" mentality last night. We got a pesto pizza with fresh tomatoes and bacon AND a regular "red" pie with spinach and black olives. That's my homage to getting our vegetables. Spinach on pizza.

I stopped at Target last night to get some school supplies before the hard lines team dismantles the section and ending up getting school food. Juice boxes, some sparkling V-8 fusion as a treat, cashews, Zen trail mix, goldfish pretzels, cheese, Morningstar vegetarian sausage patties, Archer Farms real fruit bars (strawberry). And I got the makings to make some incredible eggplant from the produce in the garden.

Which I hope to do tonight.

The third grade teacher has sent home a note that healthy snack could be sent for a 10:20 snack break. That is awesome news and I am queen of healthy snacks, but my cupboards were ill-prepared for this. On top of this, I was not letting my daughter buy "popcorn chicken." So she got sent to school yesterday with mandarin oranges for a morning snack and leftover chicken and pasta in her thermal bowl for lunch (with a side of Healthy Harvest Blueberry Applesauce). But, with the thermal bowl in the lunchbox, that left no room for her thermos and with no juice boxes, I sent juice in a bottle and she spilled it. Couldn't have been too bad of a spill because I didn't see much mess in there after-the-fact. To avoid this in the future, I went to Target and got some juice boxes.

I'm also contemplating letting my daughter try breakfast at the school, since they sent home a menu which I can check. She's not buying breakfast on mini-bagel/cream cheese day since I don't think that provides enough protein and I think cold, untoasted bagels are a last resort. Toast them and enjoy them! Not soggy, chewy and cold.

I am sooooo glad that the school has breakfast. Now I'm trying to convince some neighborhood kids whom I know don't get breakfast at home AND they qualify for free breakfast to get to the school to claim it!

No comments:

Post a Comment