Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Mother's Day Crab Pasta

On Mother's Day, we visited my dad and stepmom and had dinner at the diner. The meal was the standard inoffensive, unexciting fare but to me it was very thrilling to eat. I started with cream of turkey soup, moved on to mashed potatoes and broiled crab cake with a side of applesauce. I ate the potatoes first, then about 1/2 of one of the crab cakes, then a few spoonfuls of applesauce. For dessert, cheesecake. It was heaven. Until my jaw protested with intense pain. But it was worth it.

I am unmedicated this morning. I lost the rest of my scabs and I swear my mouth did some serious healing last night as it looks different and the pain is minor.

This is good considering what happened last night...

Never cook alone when you're starving and wounded.

I started a pot of water to make angel hair pasta. While that came to a boil, I started the based for a non-dairy cream sauce in the Le Creuset skillet.Dairy is definitely making daughter congested.

- 2 tablespoons Earth Balance
- 1 teaspoon cold pressed extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill
- salt
- pepper
Heat over low, stirring constantly, slowly adding 2 tablespoons flour, stirring until bubbly. Remove from heat and add one cup soymilk. The recipe says remove from heat, but I have better luck turning the heat way down low. 

Now, I broke the remaining crab into tiny pieces. I shaved a head of broccoli into miniscule pieces and cooked them in the sauce.

I added the crab to warm it and went to add the pasta to the boiling water. Some bugs had made a nice little home in the spaghetti can and I dumped them into the pot.

So, I had to start over. New pot of water and standard spaghetti. 

By the time it finished, my broccoli and crab had absorbed all my sauce.

And I went to dump the spaghetti into the colander and I missed. Poured boiling water down my right side. I screamed, my almost seven year old kid screamed and I couldn't get my clothes off fast enough.

I have two burns on my hip. One healed decently over night. The larger of the two is still rather yucky but it looks clean and it doesn't hurt.

The meal-- husband finished preparing it. It was good.

1 comment:

  1. That must have really hurt. Hope you are recovering well.

    ReplyDelete