Monday, November 14, 2011

Clafoutis

Found this recipe online:

http://www.delish.com/recipefinder/apricot-almond-clafouti-recipe-9990

And now I'm off to the kitchen, knowing full well i have none of the proper ingredients... But I must try!

Details to come.

Okay, initial reaction: this was incredible. Now next time I want to follow the directions because that would be mind-blowing.

What I made:

Ingredients:
- one large can pear halves, drained (seven halves)
- one apple, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup triple sec
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup milk (I used unsweetened soy)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 egg white
- 1 pinch salt
- 2/3 cup unbleached flour

In large bowl, mix fruit, alcohol and lemon juice. Soak for at least one hour.

Preheat oven to 350. Take deep dish 10-inch pie plate and butter liberally. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of the sugar.

Arrange fruit on bottom of pie plate. Reserve liquid.

Take eggs and egg white and cream with the remaining sugar. Add remaining ingredients, including the reserved alcohol from the fruit. It will be runny, as this is more of a custard than a cake.

Bake about 50 minutes until the clafouti puffs and turns golden. It will deflate some once cooled.

Cool 20 minutes before serving. Best served warm.

1 comment:

  1. For a ball park slap together, sounds tasty. Some of the best food comes from the ‘what do I have to work with’ list. I’ve been in many places where I was told there was no food in the house My retort is, “let me take a look” and a hour later there’s a three course meal on the table. Good thing to keep in mind when the time comes to America that ‘road kill’ becomes an acceptable staple. Happen during the Great Depression for your Grandparents, coming again soon to a neighborhood kitchen near you. When I was a kid, my dad worked at the Steel. During those 6 to 8 month strikes. He often threw the 22 over his shoulder, went down to Hackett’s Park and came back with ‘something’ for supper. Protein is protein.
    Dan

    ReplyDelete