Thursday, November 3, 2011

Update: Casseroles and First Post from Blogger iPhone App

As any of my even casual readers can attest to, my blogging quality and frequency has deteriorated in the last year since we canceled Internet at home.

Today I finally downloaded the Bloggee application for my iPhone, since web-based blogging has continuously and consistently failed.

Test. Testing. 1... 2... 3...

Awesome. I saved and published at this point and it seems to have worked.

Now, on to the food...

Since our TV dinner night, we've eaten horribly. Trick or treat at the grandparents brought pizza. A weekend of mommy and daddy working extra hours meant quick food. A smowstorm while Daddy was working OT meant hot cocoa and cookies. Halloween brought more pizza and candy. A visit to the hospital meant burgers and fries.

It had to end.

We all had gas and belly aches.

But it's still crazy around here. So I've been experimenting with steam-in-bag vegetable based casseroles. Half prepared, half wholesome.

Last night was Steam in Bag Broccoli Mac And Cheese.

- one bag steam-in-bag broccoli in four cheese sauce from Archer Farms
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- cooked elbow noodles
- pinch nutmeg
- about three ounces Swiss cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon flour

I melted the butter, stirred in the flour and added the cream making a smooth base for my cheese sauce (over low heat).

Added the cheese and nutmeg.

In another pan, the one I planned on baking in, my new Le Creuset cassoulet! ... Anyway, mixed noodles and prepared broccoli.

Added my mild cheese sauce.

Stirred and baked.

And today's hot lunch is Scalloped Potato Asparagus Bean Bake.

At my initial glance (see photo) it appears I have made cheesy, salty bean stew. Alas, Alack.

Ingredients:
- packaged mix for three cheese scalloped potatoes
- heavy cream
- boiling water
- Green Giant steam-in-bag asparagus
- black beans white beans

Prepare scalloped potatoes per package instructions, except substitute cream for milk.

Add prepared asparagus.

I added made from dry black beans and white beans for a protein source that wouldn't add more sodium.

Bake according to package instructions.

I had to have added way too much water...

1 comment:

  1. Sounds OK, make do with what you have. Could have made a small batch of rue to thicken. I Like Pillsbury Wonder flour, triple grind. Won’t clump in hot water while whisking. Use it to make no-meat gravies, yum.

    ReplyDelete