Thursday, February 26, 2015

Almost vegan, a little African

Today's dinner was completely an inspired blur. Let's hope I can record it because I think it was really yummy.

It started with noticing a package of Saffron Road harissa simmer sauce in the cupboard, with a can of chick peas right above it.

Stew!

Into the big old Le Creuset pot went:
• one package Saffron Road Harrissa Simmer Sauce
• a more or less equal amount water
• about 3/4 cup homemade chicken stock (if I hadn't added this, the stew would have been vegan; I added it to keep the stew from getting too spicy)
• about one cup great northern white beans. I make them from dry beans, unsalted, and freeze them in individual portions
• one can garbanzo beans, rinsed



Now the vegetables... 1/2 to 1 cup each, based on personal preferences:
• three color peppers
• baby carrots
• zucchini
• butternut squash
• peas
• Brussel sprouts (which I chopped)

And meanwhile, I started couscous in the steamer. I started with a normal portion of 2/3 cup couscous to 1 cup water but I had this odd 1/4 cup or so of uncooked couscous left so I tossed that in, too. I added a generous amount if ras el hanout and a drizzle of cold pressed extra virgin olive oil.


I was concerned about protein. I wanted to keep the low proportion of animal products therefore I made Morningstar veggie patties. 

Which ended up in the stew.


And I can't believe how delicious it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment