Wednesday, September 10, 2014

My Vegan Vindaloo


Previously, I made a lamb vindaloo adaptation that the family loved. I tried to reproduce it (at least the sauce) but this one came out spicier. I think it's because I marinated vegetables instead of meat and they must have really sucked in the juice. 


For the sauce:
(Pictured above... I figured why whisk when I could put it all in a jar, admire the layers and shake it.)
- 25 ml extra virgin cold pressed olive oil 
- 35 ml canola, vegetable or other oil of choice
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 75 ml water
- 1 tsp garlic powder 
- 1 pinch pink Himalayan salt
- 2 teaspoons Indian chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- about 1 teaspoon cinnamon 
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger 
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon paprika

For the vegetables:


- 3 small local red potatoes, diced
- 1 small local tomato, diced
- 3/4 head fresh cauliflower, chopped
- 10 Brussel sprouts
- 15 ounces canned sweet peas, drained
- about 1/8 cup (handful) jumbo cashews, unsalted
- about 1/8 cup (handful) dry roasted peanuts 

Marinate, heat thoroughly in hot skillet (adding water as necessary to 'reconstitute' sauce, serve with rice.


1 comment: