Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Pizza style zucchini

I wanted to make stuffed zucchini today but had nothing -- neither meat nor vegetarian substitute -- worthy of stuffing into it. So then I researched zucchini fries, but they were all seriously breaded and coated with butter, cheese and egg. That wasn't what I had in mind.

So, I peeled that big old zucchini and sliced it into pickle spear style pieces. I preheated my oven to 500. I then found some Wegmans Italian breadcrumbs. (I never buy breadcrumbs so my mother-in-law must have left them here.)

I lightly oiled my cookie sheets with my cold pressed extra virgin olive oil imported from Beirut.

Now, I learned long ago that some vegetables, like zucchini and eggplant, have enough moisture that they can hold some breadcrumbs with the normal egg coating. It won't get that thick coating, but a thin one. Like this:


I cooked them about 15 minutes, turning in the middle.

I layered them on a plate and put sauce on them. I sprinkled shredded Parmesan liberally on them and returned the plates to the still warm oven to melt the cheese.

I added a vegetarian breakfast patty to add more protein.

The whole family loved it.



No comments:

Post a Comment