Sunday, February 20, 2011

Parmesan pasta florentine

My husband is trying to perk me up after we've all had a rough weekend. My physical health is not what it should be and after working close to 15 hours already this weekend (and two more days to go), he wants to help and make a nice meal.

He looked through my family favorites cookbook and he managed to find three options, two of which he thought looked too complicated. He suggested:

- omelet (the easy one he knew he could handle, why didn't I just pick this?)
- chicken française (more complicated AND our chicken is frozen)
- Parmesan pasta florentine (easier than chicken française)

I picked the pasta. And then I realized I don't think it's in this blog. The recipe is from an old Kraft promotional cookbook.

The Kraft recipe for Parmesan pasta florentine:
(mine is always vegetarian, they use chicken broth. Because really, how can you make something this green and put it chicken broth?)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup chicken broth (I usually use vegetable or even spicy Thai vegetable, but today i'm advocating the use of the liquid in the can of spinach)
- 10 ounces frozen spinach, thawed and drained (today I used 13.5 ounces canned spinach and used the liquid to replace the broth as I mentioned earlier)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion (I normally omit, or through in some chives instead)
- 2 garlic gloves, minced (I had to use the jarred garlic as I still have no fresh, bad me)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces linguine, cooked and drained ( I often use rotini)

Place milk, broth, and spinach in blender.
In saucepan, or in a big French skillet if you're me, sauté the onions and garlic in the butter. Add spinach mixture and cook for five minutes. Stir occasionally.
Add cheese and pepper, stirring one minute until slightly thickened.
Pour onto pasta.

No comments:

Post a Comment