Sunday, August 8, 2010

You CAN'T do your grocery shopping at Target

I needed some stuff. Houseware stuff, grocery stuff and pharmacy stuff. I thought I'd do an experiment seeing if I could do it all at Target. For my local readers, I thought I could resurrect the Laneco days.

Sadly, I could not.

With a list, some coupons, a husband and a six year old, I set out. $156 later...

The expenditure broke down relatively well, but I did not get nearly enough fresh items and many basic items cost more than I was willing to spend.

But here goes...

- Shout color catchers, 2 boxes at $2.99 each minus a manufacturer's coupon for $2 (I LOVE these things and I was heartbroken last month when I saw the inside of my current box has a coupon for a $1 off my next box and it expired the previous month. A box lasts me more than a year. Two might last the rest of my life)
- liquid fabric softener, 51 ounces, $3.99
- MOVIES... Stuart Little and Mathilda. $5 each.
- 1 pound carrots, 99 cents
- Strawberry preserves, $1.87
- Seedless blackberry jam, $2.69
- French's mustard, spicy brown, $1.25
- Archer Farms Macaroni and Cheese, Buffalo style, $2.49 (How could I not try this??? Buffalo Sauce is my favorite thing. )
- Archer Farms Macaroni and Cheese entrée smoky bacon, $3.49 (for one of the nights my husband cooks)
- Progresso soup, four cans at $1.66 each minus $1 manufacturer's coupon
- beef broth, about 16 ounces, 67 cents
- 24 ounces of medium salsa, $2.64
- 2 bags of brown rice, 97 cents each
- New England Blueberry Cobbler ground coffee, $5.17
- Buttery Caramel ground coffee, $5.99
- The ridiculously large can of everyday coffee, $6.99
- Tazo Rest tea (incredible stuff, primarily rose, lemon, lavender... ) $3.29
- Celestial Seasonings blueberry herbal tea, $2.24
- Archer Farms Honey Wheat bread, $2.39
- Sunsweet dark chocolate covered "dried plums," $2.79 (my daughter BEGGED for these. She thought we should try them. My daughter was begging for PRUNES!!! I figure I'll save them for days she has trouble pooping.)
- 3 small lemons, 33 cents each
- Big canister of raisins, SunMaid, $2.59
- Bag of frozen california blend veggies, $1.12
- bag of frozen corn, $1.02
- 4 Frozen Pretzels stuffed with spinach and Feta, (dinner for "movie night"= 10 grams of protein, vitamin A and C, some calcium...) $4.99
- Old orchard 100 % juice apple-raspberry concentrate, $1.17
- Pineapple-orange 100% juice frozen concentrate, $1.32
- 12 pack of cherry coke zero (Okay, is this giving in to a bad habit or admitting the necessity for an anemic to have such things around. I soooo don't want to be popping Diet Cokes to make it through the day. I know a breast cancer survivor who drank several a day and I wanted to slap her upside the head for it.) $3
- Half gallon 2% milk, $1.99
- six everything bagels, $1.24 (the airy useless kind, but good for a pinch if you keep them in the freezer)
- 1 dozen eggs, $1.19
- Silk Almond Milk, one vanilla and one DARK CHOCOLATE!!!! $2.99 each
- 32 ounces of Dannon vanilla yogurt $1.66
- 7 individual portions of funky flavors of Archer Farm yogurt (strawberry cheesecake, key lime pie, honey almond) 49 cents each
- Archer Farms monster cookie ice cream (peanut butter ice cream with M&M's and oatmeal cookies) $3.50
- Morningstar vegetarian breakfast patties (the infamous sausages!) three boxes at $3 each
- 750 tablets of 200 mg ibuprofen, $9.04
- 200 women's multivitamins, $7.04
- 2 10-ounce reusable bottles with the freezer insert, $4.99 (perfect for child, school?) $3.99
- 4 cans wet cat food, 37 cents each
- Kotex 40 count and a 44 count of utlra thin maxis, $5.54 each minus $1 manufacturer's coupon
- U tampons, the 36 count, regular, $7.19 minus $1 manufacturer's coupon

1 comment:

  1. Alas, the five-year-old is now six

    and I miss Laneco too.

    I'd beg for chocolate covered prunes...excuse me, plums, also

    ReplyDelete