Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Birthday Biscuit Shepherds Pie

Now if you're one of those people who need an exact recipe, you're poop-outta-luck on this one.

I started with the Betty Crocker biscuit recipe and an oven preheated to 450. And I started to change it because I didn't feel like measuring.

INGREDIENTS for the BISCUIT crust 
- About 1/2 cup unbleached white flour
- About 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- About 3 tablespoons sourgum flour
- Almost 1/4 cup flax meal
 - About 1.5 tablespoons baking powder
- Not quite 1/3 cup lard (I got mine straight from a local butcher)
- A little more than 1/3 cup almond milk
- 1 big pinch salt

Combine. I didn't even use a spoon. I used my hand.

I sprinkled cornmeal into the bottom of a 11 x 7 Pyrex dish. Pressed the biscuit crust into it. Thin layer.

In my cast iron skillet, I browned some hamburger. Husband picked out some Chunky Steak and Potato Soup at Target  (on sale, plus employee discount, plus a Cartwheel, plus RedCard!) to use as a sauce. It is his birthday after all. I added the soup and some leftover tomato sauce.

Then veggies: a head of broccoli (chopped tiny), some frozen cauliflower and peas, about a cup of corn frozen from last summer (gotta use it up). 

When that started bubbling, I poured it on top of the crust. I layered sliced white potatoes from a can on top of that. Sprinkled paprika on top and lots of herbs from the garden (chives, basil and parsley).

Bake for 25 minutes. Uncovered.


No comments:

Post a Comment