Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Sweet potato chicken


The recent snow and ice storms have meant lots of hours for me in my retail life and paid snow days for my husband.

I am not a big eater but my husband and daughter are ravenous carnivores. So i made these chicken thighs in the crockpot based on this:

http://busycooks.about.com/od/chickenthighrecipes/r/peachcpchix.htm

I threw about 1/2 to 3/4 cup homemade chicken stock (a frozen disk) in the bottom of my crockpot adding garlic powder and parsley (about 2 tablespoons each). Crockpot to high.

I put two frozen chicken thighs (with bones and skin) on a plate and sprinkled with:
- about one teaspoon paprika
- about one teaspoon curry
- about 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

I then poured a big old can of Taylor yams in the crockpot, heavy syrup and all. 

Then I placed the chicken on top, seasoning side up. Final additions:
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- a few splashes low sodium soy sauce

Cook about six hours. I'm off to work 5 hours in-- house smells delicious.

Will report later.

The family said this was a keeper and my plate had just enough flavor to prevent boredom but not so much it covered up the natural tastes. Good stuff.


No comments:

Post a Comment