Thursday, July 11, 2013

Meaty hot lunch

It's another day expected to tap out at a max of 90 degrees. Another day of errands, doctor's appointment and finally work at 5 p.m.

I slipped back to Market after my shift last night for lettuce and noticed a ton of meats going out that night-- the ones that say sell by or freeze the next day.

Guess who bought a mix?

Me.

Steak. Pork chops. Chicken breast. And my lunch today-- Angus beef sirloin medallions wrapped on bacon. And my lettuce. $17.54.

The sirloin I'm making for lunch normally sells for $9.79.

I'm cooking the beef and some roasted cauliflower for a main meal with the family at noon. That beats the heat and allows me to have a nice meal before an evening shift.

The basic premise for roasting cauliflower:
- wash
- preheat oven to 450
- break or cut into hunks no bigger than a golf ball.
- spread on a cookie sheet
- brush with olive oil
- sprinkle with salt
- cook for 35 to 45 minutes turning every 15 until browned in a speckled fashion. You want crispy.

No comments:

Post a Comment