Sunday, July 24, 2011

Preparation for canning day

Next time we do this Angel and I need to shop together. It's part of the fun. This time it didn't work out.

I shopped at four places. First stop Giant, to get canning supplies. We're not sure how many jars of food we are "putting up" so I bought too many lids and rings. It's okay. Stored correctly they don't rust or mildew. I keep my seasonal cooking supplies in the cellar. I don't have room in the kitchen for something that's used (hard) once a year. My lids and rings, and accessories too, are kept in plastic shoe boxes. I have metal work shelves down there. The canners are parked on the shelf. I also have a food mill,  a plastic machine to puree fruit and veggies, and a manual ricer and mallet.

I lugged everything upstairs and washed it all. I brought up too much. I know that. But I'm not sure what we will use tomorrow. I don't want to waste time with dishes. Growing up, the items came up one by one and by the end of canning season everything was on the floor in the kitchen.

In Giant, the canning supplies are in the aisle with the the plastic wrap and plastic containers. It had one whole section. I nearly passed out in the store. I remember having to go from store to store looking for supplies. Everyone carried little, and the little they had was sold out.

Oh my goodness the Ball aisle is Paradise. You don't even need recipes anymore. (Second shelf, right) They have pouches of the spices and what not all mixed together All you do is add water, vinegar and the food! Sadly I took a picture. The bottom two selves are jars. They aren't in the pix.

Angel said the display at Target even has gallon-size jars!

I am disappointed that pickling salt now comes in a pouch. (Top shelf, third from left.) At one time it was in a box, then a plastic tub. I have the tub. I was thrilled. When I buy more I'll need to dump the pouch into the tub.

The best part of my trip to Giant was someone left coupons on the shelf. Dollar coupons. I'm not proud. I used them. I also kept the one for the starter kit. Just in case Angel decides to dive in head first.

I also picked up a gallon of vinegar.

The second  stop was the Emmaus Farmers Market. Ball didn't have their booth set up this week. That's where I met Mr. Eggplant Head.

Green beans were awful, so no Dilly beans. Bummer. I did get wax beans so we'll be making mustard beans. I also got pickle cucumbers, corn, and hot peppers. No cauliflower or carrots this week. Glad I didn't go for greens. Few had them. The heat made them bolt.

Then we stopped at a roadside stand on Emmaus Ave. They had cheap veggies. But they were well past their prime. I think they've been setting out in the heat too long.

I had a few more things to get so I headed to Valley Farm Market, a block away. Here I got the cauliflower and carrots.

The veggies are in a cooler in the living room with ice. That's the only room with an air conditioner.

My sister was bored and cleaned all the beans. She also cut all the corn off the cobs. So some food prep work is done.

I took the last picture of all the stuff piled on the sink and stove—jar grabber, lids, rings,  two funnels, two canners, huge colandar, vinegar and pickling salt.

It's now all clean and sterile.

Angel will pick up blogging about this adventure tomorrow.

Gayle signing out.

1 comment:

  1. Soooooo excited. Giant's display is bigger than Target's. E and I will head over as soon as we pack our jars and rummage through the herbs in the garden.

    ReplyDelete